Monday, September 13, 2010

Concept 7

While reading through A&B, I learned about a few concepts. The one I find most interesting would have to be concept 7. During high school, I wrote numerous papers and thought my writing was correct. I was wrong. A thesis was always needed for the papers we wrote, but I never knew there was so much to it. Concept 7 explains how thesis statements are supported by points and particulars. A point is an idea, generalization or a claim, while a particular gives evidence, details, examples, data, and subarguements. I found this concept so interesting because I never knew there was so much to a simple thing such as a thesis statement.

I learned plenty of things while reading A&B. Along with the new facts of a thesis statement, stated above, I learned about reading with and against the grain. Reading is one of my favorite things to do and to find out there are many different styles, in which you can read, was really neat. Going with the grain is based around a man named Carl Rogers. He states that it's "empathic listening", which is trying to see the world through the authors eyes. You can also read against the grain. This is simply questioning the author. There was so many new things I learned, but those two ideas stuck out the most.

My ideas of writing changed slightly. I now realize that something so simply is actually quite complex. Writing has rules and regulations, just like anything else.  I knew most of them, to which high school prepared me for. But never did our high school english courses go in depth as much as A&B did. I will have to alter my writing style for future writing assignments.

No comments:

Post a Comment